The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Wednesday 9 March 2016

Finding Avalon

In Arthurian legend, Avalon is a mystical, mythical realm, shrouded in mist and far from prying eyes. It is not so much a place, as a state of mind, and getting there requires a large dose of will-power and a little bit of magic. The air is sweet and smells of apple-blosom there, or so the stories go, and time passes at a difference pace than it does out in the real world.
Fawwara 103
And here, in the all too real world, a narrow and bumpy road that starts at the chapel of the Annunciation, leads to a fertile stretch of land that end at a second chapel, this one dedicated to our Lady of Carmel. This place beneath the towering cliffs of Dingli is known as Fawwara. Fawwara is the Maltese word for a natural spring but the root of the word, the verb fawwar, means to fill to the brim; to overflow. That is what this place does in abundance - it overflows with growth and with life.
Fawwara 137
Fawwara 105
Fawwara 109
Fawwara 111
Fawwara 113
Even during this most arid of winters that we have had, nature has worked her magic, just like she always does, and the first signs of an early spring were bursting to life all around us, so exuberantly that you could almost hear each bud and blossom pop open. The giant fennel that grows by the wayside was starting to bloom and the tenderest of green leaves were sprouting from the branches of the fig trees.
Fawwara 180Fawwara 184
Only the vines are still oblivious to the warmth and the lengthening days, their straggly tendrils biding their time,  because they will not be rushed - their secret is patience. For that I am thankful, because I know that as soon as the baby green vine leaves burst forth, summer will be upon us and for now I am content in the present.
Fawwara 114
Fawwara 118
What's more I am content with this present. With the delicious breeze and the craggy terrain; with the wild-flowers and a sky as blue as the depths of the sea. I feel drunk with the abundance of it all. The air does not smell of apple-blossom here but of wild-thyme and fennel; and no swirling mists linger, except when it rains. But legends abound and time might play a trick or two, it might even stand still or go backwards, here in Fawwara - here, in the place I call my Avalon.
Fawwara 134Fawwara 141
Location: Fawwara, February 2016
Related links:

14 comments:

  1. I can smell the spring in the Maltese air! These images are particularly beautiful when one comes Australia - the sunburnt country of extending droughts and reducing rains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be sunburnt too here in a couple of months.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post and photos! The budding leaf as a really good spring image makes me smile. Your Avalon on Malta sounds perfect. The geology there appears to be made specifically for creating dreams and magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that budding leaf is just precious,especially since the fully grown leaves are a very dark shade of green. It looks almost surreal.

      Delete
  3. I have NEVER received your other blog posts??Have you POSTED?
    This looks like a MAGICAL SPOT................by the sounds of it sounds like you have to walk in!
    Glad you were able to ESCAPE to the other side of the island.AWAY from all noises and sounds................MAGICAL INDEED!XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted on my other blog. I don't know what's going on with the notifications. A lot of people aren't getting them for some reason.

      Delete
  4. So beautiful Loree...thank you for taking us along...just imagining the scent of wild thyme and fennel. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I look at your pictures I think you live in a paradise !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel like it most days but I am glad you think so.

      Delete
  6. I love your own private Avalon - springtime in Malta looks gorgeous indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is my favourite time of the year - although winter isn't too bad either.

      Delete
  7. Oh my Loree these pictures are awesome. The blue sky, bumpy terrain, and glistening sea is so beautiful and magical. So glad to get to see this extraordinary spot. Have a lovely day friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You almost made me smell the wild thyme :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails