The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Saturday 24 July 2010

Meeting Sue

I hope none of you were hoping to see a cuddly baby or a giggling toddler because Sue, as most of you probably know, is a Tyrannosaurus rex. Her wonderfully preserved skeleton holds pride of place at the Field Museum and this year Sue is celebrating her tenth anniversary of residence in Chicago.
USA 071
Having a four year old boy who is very interested in dinosaurs, we could not miss the opportunity to see Sue and her enormous grin. Sue is huge but somehow I thought that a T. rex would be much larger. What is very impressive is her skull. In fact, we got to know that her head is so massive and heavy that the rest of the skeleton cannot support it. So Sue’s head is actually a cast while her real skull is on the second floor of the museum, encased in glass.
USA 089
USA 090
Seeing Sue was an awesome experience for all of us but I am really, really glad that these types of creatures are extinct. I am more comfortable with the cute green lizards that run around our yard.
USA 070
Sue is probably the hugest attraction that the Field Museum has to offer but I was equally fascinated by an exhibit about the Native American peoples. I have always been interested in the history of these ancient cultures and I was lucky that the museum has a large section dedicated to all the different tribes from North and South America.
USA 073
USA 075
USA 077
USA 081USA 082
USA 083 USA 084
Another exhibit which I really enjoyed was the re-creation of the mastaba tomb complex of Unis-Ankh. I suppose that if I never make it to Egypt, I at least will have had the experience of descending into an exact replica which is built around two original chambers from the tomb in Egypt.
The trip to the Field Museum was really enjoyable. There was something for everyone, including very young children. My son still talks about Sue and I too cannot get over coming face to face with a creature from our very distant past.
USA 068

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys are having fun..I remember being there once, 12 years ago..Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intresting post and great pictures.
    The only thing I don't like about it is the T Rex's name -- Sue ... just like my name, it's to be expected with my luck...LOL!
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics. It is a place like this that my son aged 4 at the time was inspired to become a Zoologist. It took a lot of explaining that the TRex was extinct and he would not be able to feed them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pet ! lol ! would fill in at least two big houses. I just imagine one walking in the street !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That field museum looks like so much fun! I'm with you, I think lizards are cute but I wouldn't want to see huge dinosaurs like Sue running around Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from USA! I love your blog.
    Please visit me at
    http://blog.sina.com.cn/usstamps
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Thanks for posting the great pictures of Sue. I wouldn't mind having her as a pet for a few days. Maybe she could help me with one of my troublesome neighbors. hmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's about the teeth. Sue has some scary choppers! My four (almost 5) year old nephew would freak out over that- need to take him there!

    I love the old Native American clothing ... so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails