The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Thursday 12 February 2009

Almond Blossom Time

We're going through a cold spell in the central Mediterranean right now. Temperatures during the day are about 10 Celsius and they are plummeting to 4 Celsius during the night. That's cold for this part of the world, especially when our houses are more geared for summer than for winter. We're having rain, hail and gale force winds and the forecast till Monday is more of the same. Yet I am happy that we are finally having a real winter since the past two winters have been on the rather warm side. I am enjoying the tingling feeling of the cold northern winds on my face and the sound of the rain and hail beating on the windows during the night. But notwithstanding the fact that we are at the height of winter, signs of spring are already around us. For it is almond blossom time. The island is studded with trees of wild almonds. During late autumn and early winter, the trees lose their leaves and all that is left are the grey-brown branches piercing the air. Then, slowly, the hours of daylight start to increase and sometime towards the end of January, the almond blossoms burst forth in all their glory. They are truly a wondrous sight to behold - the first blossoms of the year.

Together with the blossoms a few leaves start to grow and then some more, until slowly, the blossoms disappear and all the tree is covered in new green leaves and the tiny kernels of bitter almonds which will be ripe to eat, if you are brave enough, in June.


And so it starts. One by one the trees will bring forth their blossoms which in turn will become fruit. Such is the cycle of life. The beauty of these simple blossoms manages to fill me with awe year after year. Yet their beauty is transient. They go as quickly and silently as they come and each year the passing of the almond blossoms would fill me with regret except for the certainty that next year they will be back to herald the coming of spring. It is cold, it is still winter, but spring is in the air. I can feel it. The almond blossoms have told me; and they do not lie.

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing isn't it, how you look at twigs one night and the next morning beauty is sitting on the branches. I live surrounded by them and I love the sign that spring is just around the corner. Pink and White icecream trees are all around me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blossoms, and such an enjoyable post to read. I'm anticipating for Spring to come now, though we still have a long time to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures are breath taking! You have been tagged with the Weirdest Tag award. Info and rules in post on my blog. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous! I have a yard full of apple trees but they have snow on the naked branches right now! The blossoms are very similar when we get our spring (which won't be until May for us!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails