The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Sunday 20 December 2015

The most wonderful time of the year

Short days, longs nights, mulled wine, twinkling lights, grey skies, fleece blankets, flannel pyjamas … the list goes on. But really, how can anyone not love this time of year? I have been patiently waiting for winter since the beginning of November and it looks like it’s finally here – and just in time too. I couldn’t imagine Christmas in any other season. I cannot comprehend how Australians spend Christmas at the beach and think it’s normal, which I suppose it is for them. This is the season for hail (I wish I could write snow but that’s a once-in-a-century possibility here), red noses and mittens.
Christmas (1)
But it’s so much more than that. It’s the time to look inwards and accept the gift of eternal Light that was given to us freely. It has been a hard year, in many ways. Senseless acts of terrorism have made many of us lose confidence in our fellow men and women. There is a hopelessness in the world that is almost palpable. But I want to believe that we can overcome it. That together we can drive out the darkness and let in the light. Each one, in his or her own little way, can make a difference. One day at a time; one person at a time; if we persevere we will get there. And what better time to start than during the most wonderful time of the year?
Christmas (24)
I know you are all busy so I will keep it short for today. Remember that Christmas is about Love and about Family. Everything else can wait. I would like to wish you all a wonderful Christmas. May the peace that this season brings  fill your heart with a wonderful glow. May joy surround you and may love enfold you in its gentle wings.
Christmas (16)
Technorati Tags: ,

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful tree ! I used to love Christmas but ever since my grandson is born my son changed all traditions, so I just can't get any Christmas feelings. But strangely in the warm sun of Egypt, the huge Christmas tree in the Hotel hall, the Christmas songs made me feel real Christmas ! I think I would prefer to celebrate in the sunshine and warmth !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tree Loree - best of holiday wishes to you and your family!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words and a Beautiful Tree!

    It is comforting and refreshing for me to read you look forward to winter.
    I cringe when I hear people complain about snow, and here in Vermont where snow is so important to the economy via skiing!
    I pray for snow in the mountains (where it does the most good), not on the roads, and only snow on the week-ends. :)

    Have a Wonderful Christmas & a Very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tree! It's been a tough year around the world and also for me and Kepi. For me, Christmas brings a renewal of hope and love.

    Merry Christmas, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Loree I am wishing you and your loved ones wonderful blessings of this Christmas season and peace for the coming New Year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tree is so beautiful! It's so tall and elegant. I like hearing that the entire world is watching, discussing, and begging for change so that we can all feel more optimistic about humankind. For the first time in my life, I do feel that I'm watching history (bad history) try to repeat itself. Seeing the hate spew out on our media every day is difficult but we are certainly hoping that when it comes time for voting, the majority of intelligent voices will prevail. Happy New Year to you, Loree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree is so beautiful! It's so tall and elegant. I like hearing that the entire world is watching, discussing, and begging for change so that we can all feel more optimistic about humankind. For the first time in my life, I do feel that I'm watching history (bad history) try to repeat itself. Seeing the hate spew out on our media every day is difficult but we are certainly hoping that when it comes time for voting, the majority of intelligent voices will prevail. Happy New Year to you, Loree!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails