The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Wednesday 4 March 2009

A Hint of Spring

We had some wonderful weather for the past four days, sunny and warm with blue skies and puffy white clouds. It felt like Spring was here. But tonight the wind and rain are back and it is cool again. So, I thought I would cheer myself up (and hopefully my readers too) by posting some photos of flowers in our garden that I took last Saturday. I am not much of a gardener and most things grow because the conditions happen to be right for them. So I am always pleasantly surprised when I see some very wonderful flowers opening up. I have no idea what some of these flowers are but I will let their beauty speak for itself.
I think that these are wild flowers but I am not sure. They are very tiny and delicate like little baby girl flowers hiding in the midst of my dead geraniums. I don't know what happened to the geraniums this year. They are usually very hardy but this year they seem to have given up. Time to get some new ones, I suppose.
What better flower to herald the arrival of spring than the simple beauty of the daffodil? I had planted the bulbs some years ago and nothing ever flowered. I had totally forgotten all about them. Then, a few days ago, I went out and beheld these golden wonders.
Daffodil
These flowers are very tiny and grow in clusters. I am not sure what they are called. I had thought that the plant had died because it looked very much the worse for the heat after summer was over, but it seems to have recuperated enough to flower.


The following flowers are my faithful freesias. Since I planted them, about 3 years ago, they have always flowered. I think that for a small flower, they have some gorgeous colours. The red ones are my favourites and I really like the way the sun is lighting up the innermost part of the flower in the photo below. It seems as if the flower is burning with its own fire.

Red freesias


Purple freesias

8 comments:

  1. These are GORGEOUS! I can't wait until our snow melts in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (which,by the way..won't be until mid April at the earliest!) I too have planted over 200 tulips and daffodils...and every year I await them coming up and blooming. I love clearing the gardens and putting fresh mulch down every spring and can't WAIT to get my hands in the dirt again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, wonderful photos! I can't wait to see what will bloom in my garden this year, since I don't have green thumbs..

    I also have an award waiting for you at http://waveweaver.today.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lovely pink blooms may be oxalis. I have some yellow oxalis that look the same as those--just yellow.

    Such beautiful spring blooms. I love this time of year.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures and flowers are GORGEOUS!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! Bright and cheery. Our weather patterns are the same at the moment :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beatiful pictures. They got me all excited for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures Lorna. Once my Habanero Peppers fruit in the summer, you can taste the heat and write on your experience. Deal??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what stunning photos! I've just bought a whole lot of new seeds (flowers) for my garden, intending to make it all pretty for the summer. Reading your post I can't wait to get them planted!

    See you around the Attic. :o)

    Emma.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails